Here is a rundown on how a Freelance Web Developer could use UCM to manage a website design project all the way through:
- Create a Lead record with all the relevant contact details
- Create a Website (which is linked to the Lead)
- Create a Quote called “Website Design” (which is linked to the Lead and the Website)
- Add tasks to the Quote (such as “Graphic Design”, “Logo Design” and “HTML/CSS”) and how much each will cost
- Send the PDF Quote to the Customer
- Customer can approve the Quote online
- Convert the “Lead” into a “Customer”
- Convert the approved “Quote” into a “Job”
- Mark off each Job task as completed and record how long each task took (for your own future reference)
- Enter all the (encrypted) FTP, domain login and hosting account details for the Website as you are setting everything up
- Generate an Invoice from the completed Job tasks
- Send the PDF Invoice to the Customer
- Customer pays for the Invoice online via PayPal
- Invoice is automatically marked as paid in the system
- Happy customer!
This is how you would bill for recurring services such as Website Hosting or Domain Name Renewal
- Create a recurring Subscription called “Website Hosting” that renews every 12 months (Settings > Subscriptions)
Open the Customer Website and tick this Website Hosting subscription, choose a starting date.
- The Customer will be automatically emailed an invoice every 12 months for Website Hosting
- Customer can pay for each invoice individually, or they can setup automatic recurring billing (eg: through PayPal or Stripe) so future payments happen automatically.
See this FAQ article for more on recurring billing options